All private motor vehicles over four years old are required to undertake a biennial roadworthiness test. Goods, Self Drive and Public Service Vehicles (PSV) must take a roadworthiness test annually. PSVs over 12 years old require a roadworthiness test every 6 months.
Please allow plenty of time if applying for an appointment by post.
1. On application for the examination of a motor vehicle or trailer,which is:
(a) a private motor vehicle - £30
(b) a motorcycle - £20
(c) a public service vehicle with seating capacity for more than 8 passengers - £60
(d) a public service vehicle with seating capacity for not more than 8 passengers - £30
(e) a goods vehicle the unladen weight of which exceeds 1,525 kilograms - £55
(f) a goods vehicle the unladen weight of which does not exceeds 1,525 kilograms - £20
2. On application for the examination of a trailer - £25.
3. On application for the re-examination of a motor vehicle or trailer, where the application for re-examination is made more than 14 days of the last examination - The fee payable is that stated under item 1 or 2 above.
4. On application for the re-examination of a motor vehicle or trailer, where the application for re-examination is made within 14 days of the last examination - 50% of the fee payable under item 3.
5. On application for re-examination when:
(i) the vehicle is submitted for re-examination on the day of the examination, or – nil,
(ii) the re-examination was caused by failure to comply with the lighting requirements, the direction indicator requirements, the windscreen cleaning requirements or the audible warning requirements – nil
6. For re-examination of a vehicle under regulation 23 - £25.
7. On lodging an appeal under regulation 30 - The fee that would be payable under item 1 for examination of the vehicle plus 25%.
8. For the issue of a duplicate roadworthiness certificate - £20.