Driver and Vehicle Licensing Department
The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Department is a division of the Ministry for Transport, Traffic and Technical Services. It operates with a complement of twenty-eight; 11 technical staff, 11 administrative staff and 7 transport inspectors, headed by the Chief Examiner who is accountable to the Minister for Transport, Traffic and Technical Services.
The Traffic Act, the Transport Act and their ancillary regulations provide the main legislation and framework under which the department operates.
Under the provisions of the Traffic Act, the department delivers the following services to the general public:
- the examination and licensing of drivers
- the registration and licensing of vehicles
- the testing of motor vehicles
- the provision of secretarial support to the Traffic Commission
- the Motorcycle Compulsory Basic Training
Under the provisions of the Transport Act, the department's main responsibilities are summarised below:
- the licensing of public service vehicles and drivers
- the licensing of operators that are authorised by the act
- the processing of applications for licences under the provisions of the act
- the provision of secretarial support to the Transport Commission.
The department aims to deliver the best possible service to customers by maintaining accurate driver and vehicle registers, continually creating and innovating processes designed to increase effectiveness and efficiency, whilst focusing on stakeholders needs.
The department is a member of E.Reg; the Association of European Vehicle and Driver Registration Authorities and EUCARIS; the European Car and Driving Licence Information System.
The administrative offices' hours of business are:
08:30 – 12:30
An alternative to queuing at our offices is to use our online system
If you have any doubts or any other enquiry, please contact us by email:
Driving, Theory Tests and Learners - 20064358
Driving Licence and International Driving Permit - 20070571
Vehicle Registration - 20068363
Motorcycle Compulsory Basic Training - 20050287
Commercial Permits - 20051520
Accounts - 20064357