How we make decisions:
The Human Resources Department dedicates itself to make decisions on the following sectors:
Recruitment and Administration Section
The Recruitment and Administration section is responsible for the processing of applications in response to vacancies, both external and internal, of personnel for the whole of the Civil Service. This entails receipt and processing of application forms up to the selection process, which may include exams and selection days.
In addition to the above, this section is also responsible for the efficient and effective running for all the departmental filing systems, incoming and outgoing mail and the initial functions for the departmental purchases.
Recruitment is based upon the following principles:
- Fair and open competition;
- Selection on merit;
- Compliance with statutory regulation and employment law and codes of practice;
- Adoption of professional best practice;
- Offering the same opportunities to everyone abiding by the Gibraltar Equality Act, 2006 and in accordance with the Public Appointments Act 2007 where applicable.
The Policy section main functions are as follows: -
- Industrial Relations & Pay – Responsibility for Conditions of Service, General Orders, Industrial Regulations, Claims, Pay Reviews, Research into UK Analogues and interaction with UK counterparts as and when required and Industrial Relations.
- Research into UK and EU employment legislation and provision of advice and guidance across the board, including interpretation of the Pensions Act.
The department abides by the General Orders, Industrial Regulations and Conditions of Service which mainly derive from Civil Service UK Analogues and EU employment legislation. The Human Resources Department provides advice and information on Industrial Relations matters and applies any policies or decisions agreed.
The Discipline section provides advice to all Government departments, inclusive of Agencies and Authorities on conduct, disciplinary and performance issues & processing of all disciplinary cases including analysis of reports submitted by departments, absence management, analysis of bullying and harassment allegations and grievances. This is undertaken in close liaison with the Public Service Commission which is responsible for this process and whom acts in accordance with the Gibraltar Constitution and the Public Appointments Act.
Gibraltar Constitution Order link: Gibraltar Constitution Order 2006 (gibraltarlaws.gov.gi)
Public Appointments Act link: Public Appointments Act 2007 (gibraltarlaws.gov.gi)
Training and Development Section
This section is responsible for coordinating and providing a wide range of courses and seminars to all Civil Servants with the aim of enhancing employees’ personal and professional developments and skills.
Staff Management Section
The Staff Management Section deals with daily issues concerning all Government employees. This includes the preparation of letters of appointments, promotion procedures, staff transfers retirements/ terminations/ resignations, pensions, succession planning, IT Management, departmental restructures, provision of inductions, maintaining/ monitoring departmental manning levels, providing statistics, preparation of the Annual Government Approved Establishments for its submission to the Gibraltar Parliament, claims in relation to pay on initial engagement, and providing advice and assistance to Ministers and Heads of Department.
The staff management section is divided into three sub-sections as follows:
Employee Management Section responsible for:
- Offers of Appointments/Terms of Employment
- Job & Person Specifications
- Change of Particulars
- Extensions of Service
- Medical Questionnaires
- Probationary /Confirmation Reports
- Part Time/Job Sharing/ Family Friendly Requests
- Temporary Promotions
- Contracts – Short/Fixed and Variations
- Employee Management Database
- Approved Establishments
Employee Relations Section responsible for:
- Maternity/Adoption/Paternity Leave
- Occupational Health
- Career breaks
- Private Work applications
- Special paid/unpaid leave applications
- Alternative Employment
- Sick leave reviews
- Permission to participate in Political Activities
- Requests for Union facility time
- Pay Reviews
Termination of Service Section responsible for:
- Checking and Processing of Pensions
- Payment of Annual Leaves on retirement
- Termination of Employment
- Notification of Retirement
- Death in Service
- Loss of interest claims
Senior Management Support Section
The Senior Management Support section undertakes the Departmental Accounts, mirrors duties and responsibilities carried out by the Staff Management section for final salary employees in Agencies and Authorities, Early-Exit Schemes & supports the Human Resources Manager.
In addition, since the commencement of the COVID-19 pandemic, the section manages all COVID-19 Teams deployments, monthly salaries & Human Resources matters.