Text Resize

-A A +A

Driving licences

You are here

Driving licences

Change of possession of motor vehicles

The change of possession of motor a vehicle requires that both the seller and the buyer complete their respective form. This is a legal requirement. At the time of submission the applicant must provide proof of identity and of residential address to the satisfaction of the licensing authority, in support of the application. The following documents shall be admissible to ascertain proof of identity of an applicant: a) passport together with a utility bill or bank statement b) identity card If a vehicle is being transferred from a company to a third party, the seller’s section of the form should be endorsed with the company stamp.

Learner’s licence

Gibraltar residents who are seventeen or over can apply for a learner’s licence, for the varied categories of vehicles. The licence is valid for a period of three months. The applicant must bring proof of age and proof of residence, and must have been residing in Gibraltar, the United Kingdom or Northern Ireland for 185 days during the last 12 months. The prescribed fee for the learner’s licence is within the fees table.
In the case of Motorcycles a Compulsory Basic Training must first be given to a person prior to the issue to that person of a learner’s licence. The prescribed fee for the CBT certificate and the prescribed fee for the 15 months learner’s licence is within the fees table. It is important to note that learner’s licences shall not be considered if the date of the application is more than 15 months from the date of issue of the CBT certificate.

For more information on the CBT please see information leaflet at the downloads page.

Driving tests

Driving tests are in two parts; theory and practical. Tests for different categories are conducted by driving examiners and incur separate fees. Please note that the theory test must be successfully completed before applying for the practical test. Each category of licence requires its own theory test. An application for a practical driving test constitutes an application for a driving licence.

Driving licence

Issued once the two parts of the test have been successfully completed. The following are the categories of vehicles for which a driving licence may be obtained:


International driving permit (IDP)

An international driving permit allows an individual to drive vehicles in countries outside the European Union, when accompanied by a valid driving licence. IDPs translate details of a driving licence into several languages, enabling foreign authorities to interpret the driving entitlements held, their validity periods and the identity of the holder. An application for an international driving permit requires two passport-sized photographs together with the application form. An IDP is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and can be renewed at any time within five years of issue. An international driving permit can only be issued to applicants who: a) hold a Gibraltar driving licence covering the type of vehicle for which the IDP is required b) are a permanent resident in Gibraltar

EEC exchange

A valid driving licence issued by a European Union/European Economic Area (EU/EEA) member state is automatically accepted in all other member states. People with an EU/EEA-issued driver's licence who take up residence in Gibraltar are not required to exchange it for a Gibraltar issued licence, although the holder may exchange it at any time. If a traffic offence occurs and the licence is endorsed by the courts, residents of Gibraltar who are holders of EU licences not issued in Gibraltar will be required to exchange it for a Gibraltar licence so that it may be endorsed with the particulars of the offence.

Applying for the exchange of your EU/EEA licence for a Gibraltar licence

If you require or wish to change your driving licence for a Gibraltar licence, you must complete the application form and provide the following: - valid Gibraltar identity card or permit of residence - two recent passport photographs - (if required) a medical certificate issued within the previous six months certifying that the driver is physically and mentally fit to drive The applicant must have resided in Gibraltar, United Kingdom and Northern Ireland for 185 days on the last 12 months and provide documentary evidence of this.

Dealer’s licence

Dealer’s licences may be issued to any motor trader who applies to the licensing authority in the prescribed form. The applicant must hold a trade licence that allows the owner to carry on the business of “dealer or repairer of motor vehicles”. Dealer’s licences expire on 31st March each year and must be renewed prior to that date. A DLR licence plate may only be used when transferring vehicles between two points.

Medical certificates

Medical certificates are required when applying for a driving licence in the “C” and “D” and “F” to “J” categories. Holders of driving licences in these categories, which are valid for five years, are required to submit a medical certificate to renew their entitlement to drive. Medical certificates may also be required for persons with medical disabilities.

Licences for drivers aged over 70

Driving licence entitlement expires when a driver reaches the age of 70. To continue driving, the entitlement must be renewed every three years by submitting a medical certificate that confirms the holder as medically fit to drive. There is no fee for the transaction.

Motorcycle Compulsory Basic Training

This is a preliminary motorcycle training course which must be completed by people wishing to ride a motorcycle or moped unaccompanied on the road; it will remain valid for 15 months upon completion

Obtaining your Driver CPC

Professional bus and lorry drivers are legally required to hold a ‘driver certificate of professional competence’ (driver CPC) in addition to their vocational driving licence. Driver CPC training is a continuing professional development, which carries on throughout a professional bus or lorry driver's career.

Wearing a seat belt and exemptions

The law requires that a seat belt must be used if it is fitted. For your own safety and that of others', take time to know the law and how to correctly use a seat belt, child restraint (baby/child car/booster seat). There is an exemption from wearing a seat belt on medical grounds.

Mobile phones and driving

When driving or riding a vehicle, you should not use or be distracted by your mobile phone, in doing so you will risk prosecution.