The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Department is a division of the Ministry for Transport, Traffic and Technical Services. It operates with a complement of twenty-eight; 11 technical staff, 11 administrative staff and 5 transport inspectors, headed by the Chief Examiner who is accountable to the Minister for Transport, Traffic and Technical Services.
The Traffic Act, the Transport Act and their ancillary regulations provide the main legislation and framework under which the department operates.
Under the provisions of the Traffic Act, the department delivers the following services to the general public:
- the examination and licensing of drivers
- the registration and licensing of vehicles
- the testing of motor vehicles
- the provision of secretarial support to the Traffic Commission
- the Motorcycle Compulsory Basic Training
Under the provisions of the Transport Act, the department’s main responsibilities are summarised below:
- the licensing of public service vehicles and drivers
- the licensing of operators that are authorised by the act
- the processing of applications for licences under the provisions of the act
- the provision of secretarial support to the Transport Commission.
The department aims to deliver the best possible service to customers by maintaining accurate driver and vehicle registers, continually creating and innovating processes designed to increase effectiveness and efficiency, whilst focusing on stakeholder’s needs.
The department is a member of E.Reg; the Association of European Vehicle and Driver Registration Authorities and EUCARIS; the European Car and Driving Licence Information System.
The administrative offices’ hours of business are:
08.30 to 15.00
An alternative to queuing at our offices is to print out the appropriate form, complete it, and send it together with the corresponding fee to:
Driver & Vehicle Licensing Department
HM Government of Gibraltar
Eastern Beach Road
Cheques must be made out to "Government General Account". It is not recommended to send cash in the post. If you have any doubts as to the fees required or any other enquiry please contact us by emailing either of the following addresses:
Please note that as from 1 May 2016 there will be an increase to the fees of all online Bookings