Text Resize

-A A +A


You are here


Table of contents



Most businesses in Gibraltar require a licence(s) to be able to undertake various activities. Therefore, prior to entering any form of registration or negotiations, it is of vital importance to identify the types of licences required for your specific business, as this may determine the registration procedure as well as the policies that have to be followed. Should you require any further information regarding the types of licences required for a business, please do not hesitate to contact the Ministry for Enterprise, Training and Employment.

Light Manufacturing Licence

The Minister for Enterprise may at their discretion issue a certificate in respect of goods that are imported into Gibraltar exclusively for use in a project, development or activity that they have determined to be in the economic and social interest of Gibraltar. The certificate would apply to and exempt the rate of duty on: - Materials, components or other goods imported for manufacture, assembly or processing in Gibraltar and which are used for the purpose of setting up an industrial activity - The packaging materials for the re-export trade, although certain criteria have to be met - The exportation from private bonded warehouses of goods excluding wines, spirits and tobaccos to ships over 1500 tons - For machinery and/or equipment fitted in Gibraltar in ships of not less than 500 gross registered tons, material used for ship repairing, overhauled industrial plant, accessories, and spare parts thereof

Business Licence

In accordance with the Fair Trading Act 2015, which commenced on 7th October 2015,  the functions of the Trade Licensing Authority have been transferred and subsumed within the remit of the Office of Trading and shall be undertaken by the Business Licensing Authority (BLA).

The new licencing regime created by the FTA now requires businesses which carry out the following activities to hold a licence:

A. Trade to include, but not limited to, the buying or selling whether by wholesale or retail, of any goods by way of a business and also means the importing of any goods into Gibraltar in commercial quantities;
B. Services, to include, but not limited to;
i. construction services road transport contracting and crafts;
ii. business-related services to include office maintenance, management consultancy, event organisation, debt recovery, advertising and recruitment services;
iii. tourism services to include travel agents;
iv. leisure services to include sports and amusement centres;
v. installation and maintenance of equipment;
vi. online services provided from Gibraltar;
vii. information society services to include publishing – print and web, news agencies, computer programming;
viii. accommodation and food services to include hotels, restaurants and caterers;
ix. training and education services;
x. rentals and leasing services to include car rental;
xi. real estate services;
xii. beauty therapists and hairdressers;
xiii. car repair workshops;
xiv. builders/carpenters/plumbers/electricians and decorators; and
xv. self-employed persons who provide services.

The practical effect of the wide definition of 'business' in the FTA is that any person wishing to trade, be it wholesale or retail, or to provide a service must hold a business licence issued by the BLA unless the relevant business is already licensed by separate legislation.

For further information and advice you may visit the OFT’s website -

Alternatively if you want any further information please contact us.

Contact us Office of Fair Trading,
Suite 975,
Gibraltar. +350 20071700 +350 20071950 OFTGibraltar


Department of Transport

The Department of Transport comes under the Ministry of Enterprise, Development, Technology & Transport. The Department is run by the Chief Motor Vehicle Examiner, who is supported by a team of Driving and Vehicle Examiners, Vehicle Testers and Admin/Clerical staff. The two principal Acts, which the Department is responsible for, comprise the Traffic Act and the Transport Act.